12.30.2009

The Straps of Spring 09



The stap trend that was quite prevalent in s/s 09 mens shoes had very mixed reviews. I don't know exactly how I feel about it, but I do think it is an interesting idea. One of the reasons is the different ways it is used have quite varied effects. I like its use at Louis Vuitton where it hides the construction of the shoe. It could be an oxford, or a derby, or a whole-cut, but this is neatly hidden away. In the YSL I like that the grosgrain is not limited to the strap, but also used along the topline. At Prada the rubber bands circle the whole shoe, and at Dries Van Noten a buckled leather strap covers a brogue which make them seem like an afterthought. This is not necessarily a bad thing - just interesting.

top to bottom:
Louis Vuitton via gq.com
Dries Van Noten via selectism
Yves Saint Laurent via ysl.com
Prada Campaign featuring Louis Simonon and Claude Simonon, shot by Hedi Slimane via prada.com

No comments:

Post a Comment